waterton lakes national park vacation guide logo

canada, alberta, waterton lakes national park colour

Home Site Map FAQ Links
waterton lakes national park, alberta, canada valley photo

Chief Mountain Port Of Entry, Alberta, Canada

Visitors traveling from the United States into Canada or vice versa can use any of the following six ports of entry:

  • Aden, Alberta/Whitlash, Montana

  • Carway, Alberta/Peigan, Montana;

    Open all year; daily, 0700 hrs - 2300 hrs

  • Del Bonita, Alberta/Del Bonita, Montana;
    June 1 - Sept 15, 0800 hrs - 2100 hrs
    Sept 16 - May 31, 0900 hrs - 1800 hrs

  • Wild Horse, Alberta/Wild Horse, Montana;

  • Coutts, Alberta/Sweetgrass, Montana;
    Open all year, daily 24 hour service

  • Chief Mountain, Alberta/Chief Mountain, Montana.

    9:00 to 18:00
    May 15 to May 31
    Seven days/week

    7:00 to 22:00
    June 1st to including Monday Labour Day
    Seven days/week

    9:00 to 18:00
    Tuesday following Labour Day to September 30
    Seven days/week

    October 1st to May 14


For further information on border crossing please contact:
Canada Customs Regional Office Suite 320, Harry Hays Building 220 - 4th Ave. S.E., Calgary AB T2G OL1
Chief Mtn. Port (403)653-3535 (Canadian side), (406)732-5572 (USA side)
Carway Alberta Port of Entry Headquarters, crossing the border information Ph (403)653-3009

Customs and Immigration

Visitors from all countries will need a valid passport to enter Canada. They may also require other documentation such as a visas or alien card. Check with a Canadian embassy.

US citizens 16 years of age or over must have a passport or other appropriate secure document like a NEXUS card or Enhanced Drivers License. Children age 18 and under will be able to enter with proof of citizenship. Verbal claims of citizenship and identity alone will not be sufficient to establish identity and citizenship for entry into the United States.

Each visitor may import, duty free, a maximum of 40 ounces (1.1 litres) of liquor, or 24 12-oz cans of beer or ale into Canada as personal luggage. Up to 50 cigars, 200 cigarettes, and 400 grams of tobacco and 400 tobacco sticks may be allowed entry duty free. To import tobacco products, a person must be 18 years of age or over.

Visitors may bring sporting equipment and personal goods for their own use, duty free, by declaring them at entry. Once in every 31 day period, after being in Canada for at least 48 hours US visitors may take back merchandise for personal or household use up to the value of $400 duty free. US visitors spending less than 48 hours, may take back $200 worth of merchandise free of US duty and tax. Other visitors should check the customs regulation of their own country prior to departure.


A visitor does not require a permit or certificate to import non-restricted firearms if the firearms are brought in: for sporting or hunting use while in Canada; for use in approved competitions; for an in-transit movement through Canada; or for a person's protection against wildlife in remote areas of Canada. (Waterton Park is not a remote area in regards to firearms)

Individual licenses are required for hunting and fishing. Revolvers, pistols and fully automatic firearms are prohibited. Arrangements can be made at most ports of entry to hold Revolvers until you return.


waterton lakes green dot This site created by Waterton Park Information Services, in friendly Waterton Park, Alberta, Canada. If you have any problems or advice, Please e-mail us at WPIS