Under an Act, to be cited as The Flag Act, passed at the
1968 Session of the legislature of the Province of Alberta,
a blue flag, with the shield of the armorial ensigns of the
Province centered thereon was appointed and declared as the
Flag of Alberta. This Act was proclaimed in force by Order
of the Lieutenant Governor in Council on the 1st day of
The Arms of the Province of Alberta: On May 30, 1907, a
Royal Warrant assigned the Armorial Ensigns of the Province
of Alberta. Topped by a red St. George's Cross on a white
background, the Armorial Ensigns feature Azure in back of a
range of snow mountains with green hills, a prairie and
wheat field in front. On July 30, 1980, the arms of Alberta
had a Crest, Supporters and Motto added by Royal Warrant.
The Crest has a Royal Crown on top of a beaver sitting on a
helmet with a silver and red wreath.
The Arms of the Province of Alberta - Supporters: Gold lion
and pronghorn antelope. The compartment (base of the Coat of
Arms) is a grassy mount with wild roses.
Motto: FORTIS ET LIBER (Strong and Free) to be borne and
used together with Arms of the Province of Alberta upon
Seals, Shields, Banners, Flags, or otherwise according to
the Laws of Arms. Alberta Tartan
The colors of the Alberta Tartan: represent the green of its
forest, the gold of its wheat fields, the blue of its clean
skies and the sparkling lakes, the pink of its wild rose,
and the black of its coal and petroleum.